Fresh coconut – 1 cup grated
Green chilli – 4-6 (depending on how much spicy you want)
Tamarind – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp (divided)
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Garlic – 2 cloves (optional)
Fenugreek seeds – 6-8 seeds
Dried red chilli – 3
Curry leaves – 5 leaves
Udad dal – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 2 tsps divided
Salt to taste
- In a pan, heat up 1 tsp oil & add cumin (1/4 th tsp), fenugreek seeds, green chilli, garlic & tamarind.
- Cook for a minute & add the fresh coconut to it & turn of the heat.
- ( in case of frozen coconut, cook the frozen coconut in the oil till it softens up).
- Add salt to taste & grind the mixture.
- Remove it in a bowl & season it.
- To season, add 1 tsp oil to the pan & add udad dal, mustard seeds, cumin.
- Allow them to splutter & add the red chilli & curry leaf.
- Turn of the heat and add the seasoning onto the ground mixture.
- Serve with Indian breakfast such as idli or dosa.