Basmati Rice -2 cups
Red lentil (Masoor Dal) – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1/2 medium sized thinly sliced
Cardamom- 3 pieces
Cinnamon sticks- 3 pieces
Cloves – 3 pieces
Curry leaves – 5
Green chili – 3 (optional)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Mint leaves – 8 chopped
Cilantro – 1/4 cup chopped
Oil – 1 TBSP
Butter – 1 tsp
Water – 4 cups
Salt to taste
- In a container, soak rice & masoor dal mixed together for about 15-20 mins.
- Into a heated pan, add in oil & butter.
- Add onions, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks, curry leaves, green chilies & salt & sauté.
- Sauté the onions to a slight brown color.
- Add cilantro, mint leaves & ginger garlic paste to it & cook for a minute or two.
- Then add water to it & let the water come to a boil.
- Once the water is boiled, add the rice & dal to it.
- Cook on high for about 5-10 mins or until the water is absorbed by the rice.
- Close the pan with a lid & turn the flame to low.
- Cook it for another 5-10 mins or till the rice is perfectly done.
- Serve hot with chutney.