Dosa is a lentil & rice crispy crepe made in a flat iron pan.
Udad dal or white lentils – 1 cup
Boiled rice (found in Indian grocery stores) – 3 n 1/2 cups
Flattened/ pressed rice (atukulu) – 1 TBSP
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Serves 20 dosas
• Soak boiled/idli rice, fenugreek seeds & flattened rice in one container & udad dad in another for 8-10 hours.
• Grind the udad dal & boiled/idle rice mixture separately adding water just enough to grind the mixtures. (It should not be runny nor too thick but in between).
• I use a stone wet grinder but a blender or a grinder can be used.
• Mix both the mixtures together thoroughly in one dish (no water should be added at this point) and set aside at room temperature for 8-12 hours or in a warm place to allow the batter to ferment.
• After 12 hours, if you look closely the batter ferments & forms tiny air bubbles.
• Now the batter is ready for use.
• Take the required amount of batter needed in a separate bowl and mix salt to taste.
• For dosa, take the batter into a separate bowl and add salt & desired amount of water.
• Pour it over a cast iron pan & serve hot with peanut or coconut chutney.