Basmati white rice – 4 cups
Oil – 1 TBSP
Butter/Ghee – 1 TBSP
Onion – 1 medium sized thinly sliced
Mint leaves – 12 chopped
Cilantro – 1/4 cup
Green chili – 4
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsps
Cardamom – 5 pods
Cinnamon sticks – 5 small pieces
Cloves – 5
Water – 4 cups
Coconut milk – 1 can – 14 oz
Salt to taste
Serves 6 – 8
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Add oil & ghee to a container on medium flame.
- After the oil is hot, add onions, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves & salt to it & cook for few mins.
- Brown the onions slightly & add cilantro, mint leaves & green chilli to it & cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste & sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the coconut milk from the can (measure it-it usually comes up to 1&1/2 to 2 cups) to the onions.
- Add water (4 cups) & let the mixture come to a nice boil.
- Note: I’m adding 1 & 1/2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice here so the rice is grainy & not mushy or soft. Also adding both coconut milk & water should give the amount of liquid we need for the rice to cook.
- Add rice to it & cook on medium-high till the water is evaporated.
- Place a lid on it & cook for another 10 mins on low-a spoon when placed in the the rice comes out clean.