Mutton (goat meat) – 1 kg (2 lb) small peices cut & washed
Onions – 2 medium chopped
Tomato – 1 medium chopped
Green chilli – 3
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 2 -3 tsp based on powder (if it’s too spicy add little)
Coriander+Cumin+Fenugreek Seed powder – 1 tsp ( CCF Powder)
Gingergarlic paste – 2 tsp
Cinnamon – 4 small pieces
Curry leaves – 8-10
Mint leaves – 6-7
Cilantro – 4-5 strands
Gongura (Indian sour leaf) – 1 bunch wash & set aside
Oil – 2 TBSP
Salt to taste
Dry coconut powder -2 tsps
Serves 5 – 7
- Heat up oil in a pressure cooker & add whole spices (cardamom, cinnamon & cloves), onions, green chilli & curry leaves.
- Add one tsp of salt to quicken the cooking.
- After the onions turn golden brown add the gingergarlic paste, turmeric, red chilli powder & CCF powder.
- After a couple of minutes add the meat.
- Mix well and close the lid (without pressure) & wait for the mutton to ooze out water.
- Cook for 10 mins stirring a couple of times just to make sure it does not get burnt.
- Now add the gongura, coconut powder, tomato, mint leaves, salt & 1/2 to 1 glass of water.
- Mix well, put the lid & pressure cook for 5-7 whistles.
- The curry will be done in 20-25 mins.
- Garnish with cilantro & serve with fried rice.
- The tangy flavor of gongura cooked with meat serves as a great delicacy.